UCI Biomarker Detection Laboratory for
Early Detection Research Network (EDRN)
The Prostate Cancer Tumor Microenvironment Exhibits Differentially Expressed Genes Useful for Diagnosis
This research grant is for establishing the University of California, Irvine (UCI) as a "Biomarker Dectecion Laboratory" for the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Early Detection Research Network (EDRN) and to develop a multi-site prospective clinical validation trial of the multigene diagnostic signature for the diagnosis of prostate cancer from nontumor-containing biopsy tissue.
This is a five-year research program that is being led by the Principal Investigator and Director, Dr. Dan Mercola, M.D., Ph.D. from the University of California, Irvine. This EDRN research follows Dr. Mercola's work on the SPECS consortium that was an observational clinical trial, which utilized prostate tissues and clinical values obtained by informed consent to derive gene signatures predictive of outcome at the time of diagnosis. Seven sites participated in that study over a 5-year period.
EDRN partners for patient and biospy acquisition are:
- Philip Carpenter, M.D., University of California, Irvine Medical Center
- Atreya Dash, M.D., University of California, Irvine Medical Center
- Paul Brower, M.D., Orange County Urology Associates, Laguna Hills, CA
- Christopher Vanley, M.D., Orange County Urology Associates, Laguna Hills, CA
- Chung Lee, Ph.D., Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Warren Kessler, M.D., Hillcrest Urological Medical Group, San Diego, CA
- CLIA Lab Director - John Krolewski, M.D., Ph.D.
- CLIA Lab Manager - Pam Ward, Ph.D.
Biopsy and data collection management:
- Sr. Clinical Research Coordinator - Hollis MacArthur, M.Ed.
- Staff Research Associate - Anne Sawyers, C.C.R.C.
Bioinformatics and biostatistics are provided by Michael McClelland (VRI), and Zhenyu Jia (UCI).